Sunday, November 11, 2007

 

The Hermitage

Otto Erich Deutsch, The Schubert Thematic Catalogue (1951; rpt. New York: Dover Publications, 1995), lists three settings by Franz Schubert in 1816 and 1817 of the Swiss poet Johann Gaudenz von Salis-Seewis' poem Die Einsiedelei (The Hermitage). Two are solo songs (D393 and D563, in A major and A minor respectively), and one is a setting for chorus with two tenor and two bass parts (D337, in G minor). In none of these three pieces did Schubert set the entire poem to music.

John Reed, The Schubert Song Companion (Manchester: Manchester University Press, 1997), p. 154, translates stanzas 1, 4, 5, and 6 of Die Einsiedelei. My German was never very good and is rusty now from lack of use, but because I can't find a translation of the complete poem, I'll make an effort at translating stanzas 2 and 3. The original poem follows the translation.
[1] Within the oak grove a stream runs clear. There I chose to sojourn on my lonely way. A grotto, cool and airy, serves as my chapel, my hermitage, hidden among the greenery.

[2] The true wilderness is gloomy and bleak, to be sure. But so much the dearer is the satisfying dream. There I often rest amid the thick heather in bloom; the swaying spruces wave and moan loud sighs above me.

[3] Where tangled woodbine creeps past juniper bushes up the flinty path, there I make a trail for myself; across the hewn stump, where wild strawberries grow, I climb upon a pile of rocks, to look around at the land.

[4] Nothing disturbs the silence of the forest far and wide, save when a green woodpecker pecks and screams at the dry branches. A raven croaks on the tall spire of a mossy fir tree, and in the rocky crevice a ring-dove moans.

[5] How the heart is uplifted in the dense confines of the wood. Its secret shade soon cheers dull melancholy. Here no officious prying eye can trace my steps: here I am free, close to nature and simplicity.

[6] O that I might remain unfettered by the turmoil of the world, and that I could fly to you, beloved hermitage, glad to escape the din of the crowds. Here I should build a refuge for my love and me.

[1] Es rieselt, klar und wehend,
Ein Quell im Eichenwald;
Da wähl' ich, einsam gehend,
Mir meinen Aufenthalt.
Mir dienet zur Kapelle
Ein Gröttchen, luftig, frisch;
Zu meiner Klausnerzelle
Verschlungenes Gebüsch.

[2] Zwar düster ist und trüber
Die wahre Wüstenei;
Allein nur desto lieber
Der stillen Phantasei.
Da ruh' ich oft im dichten,
Beblümten Heidekraut;
Hoch wehn die schwanken Fichten,
Und stöhnen Seufzerlaut.

[3] Wo von Wacholdersträuchen
Den Kieselsteig hinan
Verworrene Ranken schleichen,
Da brech' ich mir die Bahn;
Durch des Gehaues Stumpen,
Wo wilde Erdbeern stehn,
Klimm ich auf Felsenklumpen,
Das Land umher zu sehn.

[4] Nichts unterbricht das Schweigen
Der Wildnis weit und breit,
Als wenn auf dürren Zweigen
Ein Grünspecht hackt und schreit,
Ein Rab' auf hoher Spitze
Bemooster Tannen krächzt,
Und in der Felsenritze
Ein Ringeltäubchen ächzt.

[5] Wie sich das Herz erweitert
Im engen, dichten Wald!
Den öden Trübsinn heitert
Der traute Schatten bald.
Kein überleg'ner Späher
Erforscht hier meine Spur;
Ich bin hier frei und näher
Der Einfalt und Natur.

[6] O blieb' ich von den Ketten
Des Weltgewirres frei!
Könnt' ich zu dir mich retten,
Du traute Siedelei!
Froh, dass ich dem Gebrause
Des Menschenschwarms entwich,
Baut' ich hier eine Klause
Für Liebchen und für mich.
Jervis McEntee, Forest Interior.




<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?