Friday, August 25, 2017

 

This Is My Home

George Gissing (1857-1903), The Private Papers of Henry Ryecroft ("Spring," II):
In vain I have pondered the Stoic virtues. I know that it is folly to fret about the spot of one's abode on this little earth.
All places that the eye of heaven visits
Are to the wise man ports and happy havens.
But I have always worshipped wisdom afar off. In the sonorous period of the philosopher, in the golden measure of the poet, I find it of all things lovely. To its possession I shall never attain. What will it serve me to pretend a virtue of which I am incapable? To me the place and manner of my abode is of supreme import; let it be confessed, and there an end of it. I am no cosmopolite. Were I to think that I should die away from England, the thought would be dreadful to me. And in England, this is the dwelling of my choice; this is my home.
Related posts:



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?